The Cat Act 2011 was introduced by the State Government with the aim of encouraging responsible pet ownership and reducing the number of unwanted cats across Western Australia.

From 1 November 2013, cats over the age of 6 months must be:

  • Micro-chipped, wearing a collar and registration tags - for identification purposes;
  • Sterilised - unless being used for breeding purposes by an approved breeder; and
  • Registered - with the Local Government.

Rangers are authorised to enforce this legislation and fines may apply to owners who fail to comply.

Information Sheet for Cat Owners

The purpose of the Cat Local Law is to provide for the management of cats throughout the Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes.

The effect of the local law is to promote responsible cat ownership and manage the control of cats within the Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes.

All cats over the age of six months must be registered within the Shire/City in which they normally reside. Registrations are due on the first of November each year and are current for either one or three years or the life of the cat. Registration helps you to recover your cat if lost and assists the Shire to encourage responsible cat ownership. A person under 18 years of age may not lawfully register a cat in his or her name. The cat must be registered by a parent or another adult who will then be regarded as the lawful owner.

For kittens and cats new to the Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes, please download the registration form and visit the Shire office to complete your cat’s registration. Proof of microchipping and sterilisation will be required

Cat registration form

If you live near a cat that is causing a nuisance, you should approach the owner if you feel it is safe to do so. If you feel the owner is unapproachable or you have and the issue remains unresolved, please contact the Shire to report the nuisance cat. If you have a problem with feral cats coming on to your property, please report it to the Shire.

Nuisance behaviour may include:

  • A cat spraying on your outdoor furniture;
  • A cat defecating in your garden beds;
  • A cat is coming into your garden and frightening your cat;
  • There is a cat outside that appears to be in pain and yowling constantly;
  • The neighbour’s cat is killing wild life in the garden, particularly birds;
  • There is, what seems to be, a feral cat in the garden, it is skinny and appears to be looking for food; or
  • The neighbour’s cat keeps entering the house cat flap and eating your cat’s food.
  • If you move within the Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes, you must notify the Shire so that your cat’s registration details can be updated.
  • If you move away from the Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes, you must notify us and transfer your cat’s registration to the new City/Shire.
  • You must also notify the Shire if your cat is deceased or goes to a new owner.

You can advise the Shire by completing an Animal Change of Details Form