Development Type

These quick guides help you discover what is required for your development.

Asbestos removal

Asbestos has to be carefully removed and disposed of at approved waste disposal sites. PH2 Handling of Asbestos Cement (AC) Building Products

Where more than 10m2 is to be removed, a registered contractor is required. Worksafe registers all contractors.  Worksafe Register 

Ancillary Accommodation

Requirements differ depending on property zoning.

Residential Zone

Ancillary Accommodation in Residential Zones needs to consider the provisions of the Residential Design Codes (R-Codes).

An Ancillary Dwelling associated with a single house and on the same lot where:

  • complies Residential Design Codes for R12.5 and R20 coded lots
  • is located no more than 10 metres from the principal dwelling
  • there is a maximum floor area of 70m2;80m 2
  • parking is provided in accordance with clause 5.3.3 C3.1;
  • ancillary dwelling is located behind the street setback line;
  • ancillary dwelling is designed to be compatible with the colour, roof pitch and materials of the single house on the same lot;
  • ancillary dwelling does not preclude the single house from meeting the required minimum open space and outdoor living area; and
  • ancillary dwelling complies with all other R-Code provisions, only as they apply to single houses, with the exception of clauses:
    (a)   5.1.1 Site area;
    (b)   5.2.3 Street surveillance (except where located on a lot with secondary street or right of way access); and
    (c)    5.3.1 Outdoor living areas.

Any proposal which fails to meet the ‘Deemed to Comply’ provisions of the R-Codes will require an Application for Development Approval prior to obtaining a Building Permit.

Ancillary Accommodation in Special Residential, Rural and Special Rural Zones l  needs to consider the provisions of the Town Planning Scheme and LUP 6 Ancillary Accommodation Policy

An Ancillary Dwelling associated with a single house in one of these zones should:

  • be integrated in terms of design, colours and materials;
  • is located no more than 10 metres from the principal dwelling if within a Special Residential zone, 20 metres within a Special Rural Zone and 50 metres if in a Rural zone
  • contain not more than  two bedrooms, one dining room, 1 living room, 1 kitchen and ablution facilities
  • not exceed 120m2 of floor area; and
  • utilizes shared vehicular access from road as the principal dwelling
  • for the exclusive use of family members.

Note: Development Approval is required for all proposed Ancillary Dwellings located in Rural Residential and other rural areas prior to obtaining a Building Permit.



Development Approval for demolition is only required where your property is Heritage listed, either by the Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes or on the State’s Heritage Register.


A demolition permit from the Building Services team is required for demolition work for a whole building.  It is also required for part of a building or structure when the works are not included as part of a building permit for construction (see Section 10 of the Building Act 2011). 

There are also Health & Safety requirements to consider, particularly if removing asbestos and decommissioning septic systems. Some demolition works can only be carried out by a registered demolition contractor.

Demolition form BA5  

Please Note
  • A builder who holds a permit for building work, does not need a separate demolition permit for demolition work that is part of the building work.
  • Some demolition work can only be carried out by a registered demolition contractor. Refer to Worksafe for further information. Worksafe

Extractive Industries

We recommend you discuss your proposal with Planning Staff prior to submitting any application for an Extractive Industry as a very detailed analysis of the land and proposed extractive activity is required before an application will be accepted by the Shire.

Our Planning staff  can provide guidance on what management plans and State Government referrals will be required based on the location of the extraction area as well we the type and volume of material to be extracted.

Extractive Industry Policy

Garages & Carports

Garages and carports can be attached to your house, or freestanding.

A carport enclosed on two or more sides, is considered a garage.


For Residential zoned land, the Residential Design Codes (R-Codes) guide where you can locate a carport or garage on your property. Where your property is coded R20 , a garage wall can be considered on a boundary. If your proposal doesn’t comply with the R-Codes, then Development Approval will be required.



All garages and carports need a Building Permit prior to commencing works on site.

New House or Additions to Your House

Is Planning approval required?

Alterations and additions to your house may require Development Approval,

Is Building approval required?

Building work to an existing house will generally require a Building Permit.

Minor works such as refurbishment, or repair and maintenance (replacing “like for like” building elements) is exempt from requiring a Building Permit. Examples are retiling a bathroom, fitting new kitchen cupboards, or replacing doors and windows.

Removing a wall that holds up another part of a building (ceiling and roof structure) is an example of something that is a structural change and is not exempt, and will require a Building Permit.

Works that are exempt still must be built to an appropriate standard.

Outbuildings (or Sheds)

An “Outbuilding”, commonly known as a shed, is an enclosed non-habitable building that is detached from a dwelling.

Is Planning approval required?

An outbuilding (shed) may require Development Approval dependent on your zoning, the size of the proposed shed, setbacks to boundaries.

Is Building approval required?

A Building Permit is required for sheds greater than 10m2

Outbuildings in Bushfire Prone Areas

If you are building a Class 10 structure (shed) within 6m of a house that has been built to bushfire prone standards (ie: to a particular Bushfire Attack Level, or ‘BAL’ rating) the shed will need to be built to the same BAL.

To view the Bushfire Prone Area Map go to the  DFES website

Can I live in an outbuilding?

No. The Building Code of Australia (BCA) classifies outbuildings (sheds) as Class 10a ‘non-habitable’ structures, and cannot be used for human habitation or living purposes.

Any building or structure intended for habitable purposes (ie living, sleeping) must satisfy the BCA performance requirements for a Class 1a habitable building, which requires a higher standard of construction than a shed

Can I build or convert an existing outbuilding to use as a dwelling?

Proposals to build or convert an outbuilding for habitable purposes will be considered by the Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes, however all relevant approvals and minimum construction standards that apply to dwellings must be achieved. 

  • An Application for Development Approval may be required to ‘Change the Use’ of the outbuilding to a habitable structure. For details on what needs to be provided, please review 
  • Development Applications to build, or convert an outbuilding for habitable purposes will consider any relevant Scheme, Policy or development controls applicable to the land, the relationship to any existing development on the site, streetscape character and visual amenity of the area etc.
  • To convert an existing outbuilding for habitable purposes, a Building Permit is required to change the class from a Class 10a outbuilding to a Class 1a dwelling.  The application must demonstrate compliance with the minimum construction standards in accordance with the Building Code of Australia including, but not limited to; structural matters, energy efficiency, damp & weatherproofing, health & amenity (light, ventilation, wet areas, smoke alarms, etc).

Environmental Health Approvals

Non-sewered sites will require an approval for an effluent disposal system that is suitable for the proposed dwelling. Further information can be found here

Retaining Walls

Retaining walls up to 500mm in height above natural ground level generally do not require approval.
However, any retaining wall needs to be constructed to a suitable standard.
Retaining walls higher than 500mm will require a Building Permit, and may also need a Development Approval.

Swimming Pool or Spa

All swimming pools need a Building Permit, and all swimming pools need a barrier fence.
All swimming pools will be inspected on a 4 yearly basis.
Pools in certain areas will also need Development Approval.

Subdivision -  Can I subdivide my property?

The ability to subdivide your property is dependent on a number of factors including:

  • The zoning of your property;
  • The minimum lot sizes set under the Residential Design Codes for Residential zoned land.The environmental sensitivity of the property;
  • State Planning Policies (ie: SPP 3.7 – Planning in Bushfire Prone Areas).

The Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) is responsible for determining applications for subdivision. The Subdivision Flow Chart provides an overview of the process, or you can find more information via the WAPC website

Water Tanks

If your property  has scheme water available, then Development Approval is required for a water tank. It must located within your building envelope or comply with setbacks and preferably constructed using darker colours.

Building Permits are required for all water tanks over 5000 litres.